Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Asian Parents

"That's your fault for majoring in what you did."
Thats what my mother told me, in addition to asking me why I was still living in their house.
"You've saved at least...$10,000 living here!" she claimed.
Her first remark implied that I should have studied something useful, or should already be in graduate school. LSAT? GMAT?
But I've settled for what?
Oh. That's right. Film.

I have never felt completely supported in my choice to study film. I am passionate about a lot of things. Sure, business is one of them. I love pitching ideas, I love selling things to people. When I see  something, hear something, or try something and love it, I can't help but want to share what I know. Down side of all of that is that I am horrible at selling something I don't believe in, and in this day and age there aren't a lot of companies I would really care to work for. And sure, law could possibly be a passion, but I don't know enough about it. And yes, I know with certainty that the arts (film, music, visual arts) are a passion of mine. And film is what I chose to study.

And so that leads me to where I am now. Unemployed and homeless to start off 2013. This weight I feel, this knot in my gut, is strangely familiar to how I felt around this time two years ago. Have I come full circle...in perhaps a not so good way?

3 comments:

  1. The year's not over yet! And regardless, I guess it's nice to have parents who push you to do well in a vocation. I guess that's the idea anyway. I've seen parents on the other extreme though, who tolerate everything their child does. That's as destructive as the other extreme. I'm sure you'll find something good though, for employment I mean. You do a good job of keeping your chin up, or at least appearing to; and that's half of the battle. Good luck, and I look forward to posts indicating the prospective employment opportunities that you have open to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Neil! Great running into you at conf btw! and I'm actually currently employed at a really awesome company...just thinking about grad school...and then becoming unemployed for schooooool. :( haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait . . . you're actually doing grad school? Is that what you wanted to tell me on the phone the other day?

    ReplyDelete