Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bad, better, best! (Ashima Day #1)

Everything felt wrong.

Driving to the airport, I felt like my life was falling to pieces. I was losing control. 

The one thing I had confidence in was my ability to move swiftly through security, but right when I was told to step aside, I knew this was going to be one heck of a trip. Oh course I would leave my favorite knife in my down jacket pocket. Amateur mistake.

With three hours of sleep, I wandered around the streets of NYC with a dead smartphone. Eventually I found the Doughnut Plant, and charged up while enjoying a vanilla bean, cinnamon apple, and creme brulee doughnut. 

As I inched closer to the Shiraishi home I couldn't help but feel anxious. What if we didn't get along? What if my "vision" is totally off. What if...

Luckily, from the moment I met Miko and Poppo, to when Ashima greeted me with bed hair, smiles were the constant theme of the day. Ashima and I went through old films, photos, KidRobot toys, traded stories from Japan and fashion, did homework, and we even danced a little to gangnam style. I was humbled in the climbing gym, but couldn't help laugh at receiving a personal lesson from an 11 year old. 

And yes, I ate at McDonalds for lunch, ending my 8 year hiatus from the fast food chain. 

The cherry on top came from an old college classmate, TK. She and her brother found me a place to stay for a few nights! Struggling artists gets divine intervention. Thank you TK and company! Words cannot explain how thankful I am for what you've done, but for the effort you put into this. 

A terrible day, turned wonderful!

Nothing like amazing friends to remind you how blessed you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment